Margate ponders the need for two schools in a town with declining, full-time residency. Listen to resident feedback from recent Margate Commissioner meetings.
Some highlighted comments from the audio clips below:
- MARGATE SCHOOL BUDGET $13.5 mil per year. That’s 1/3 of entire city budget.
- ISIS commander grew up in Margate. Zulfi Hoxha graduated from AC High School in 2010.
- What happens down shore when no one is looking? $88k median salary for Margate teachers
- Margate board accused of inefficiency. Accusations of Patronage & Nepotism.
- Eliminate one of 2 schools (Tighe School is getting too old & expensive to maintain) 14 kids per classroom at Tighe. 3rd floor of (more modern) ROSS (17 yrs old) would be fine.
- Enrollment down as budget is up. Avg cost per pupil: $32,000
- No need to fill position of recently retired Superintendent. Instead, use one of the principle as super & administrator.
- Full-time senior residents not able to handle tax increase, even as ratables increase.
- The need for more shared services (including fire & school) with Ventnor