The periodic, forced, and so-called ‘re-nourishment’ of Ventnor beaches is being cost-shared by the federal government, NJ Department of Environmental Protection and the taxpayers of Ventnor. That’s according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Shore News Today.
65% percent of the Ventnor dune & beach re-nourishment is bankrolled by the federal government using taxpayer cash. The other 35% comes from Ventnor and a handful of other agencies.
According to Ventnor City Administrator Maria Mento, the Army Corps estimated Ventnor’s direct share of the cost is 8%. That comes to $440,917 that Ventnor Taxpayers will fork-over to make the dunes from Jackson to Buffalo, even higher and wider. You can’t make this stuff up.
A new Ventnor bond ordinance will help pay for the re-nourishment….that quite frankly…..is not needed. Have you seen the SIZE of those already massive dunes in Ventnor?
Ventnor share of beach re-nourishment comes to $440,917
SPECIAL BONUS FOR VENTNOR TAXPAYERS: The above numbers do not include expenses associated with any additional sand that may be needed during construction.