Will Margate voters continue to embrace the three incumbent City Commissioners in the Spring 2019 election? Or will residents vote for the yet to be named challengers?
Mayor Mike Becker, along with Commissioners Maury Blumberg and John Amodeo will team up and will run on the same ticket in Spring of 2019. Election day in Margate will be May 14.
Becker, Amodeo and Blumberg will run as a team in May 2019 Margate Board of Commissioners election.
While Margate as whole is doing well, there are those who believe it could do better. Here are some issues that bubbled to the top over the past three years.
- Shrinking full-time population.
- Dune boggle and non-critical beach replenishment.
- Too large, too many, beach sewer pipes (outfalls). Greater chance of contaminated surf from run-off.
- Average of $30 mil in new ratables annually. Why no tax relief?
- 2 schools to handle a declining enrollment of just 350 students total.
- Accusations: lack of adequate transparency
- Questionable $95k subsidy of Margate Business Association
- Hotel over-lay zone. High-rise at Greenhouse
- Affordable housing requirements.
- Waiving of business parking requirements.
- Who really owns Lucy the Elephant?
- Prescription drug scandal
- Launch of Margate Homeowners Association
- Not-so-mini golf course in the Margate business district.
- Is Margate risking it’s premium appeal as ‘residential’?
- Amherst development, bulkhead building and land transfers
- Litigation up the wahoo
- Amherst floating water park
- Dredging of back bays. Dump spoils at Shelter Island?
- Will Margate rebuild it’s boardwalk?
- Why no Jitney in Margate?